Mickelsen Library was dedicated to the memory of Lieutenant General Stanley R. Mickelsen, 1895-1966. Stanley R. Mickelsen was a visionary leader who brought the Army's Air Defense Artillery from the era of guns into the age of missiles. A native of Minnesota, he attended the University of Minnesota and entered the Army in 1917 as a second lieutenant in the Coast Artillery Corps. During World War II, he served on the War Department General Staff and later commanded an antiaircraft brigade. From 1950 to 1952, he was the Commanding General at Fort Bliss. LTG Mickelsen then became the Commanding General, Headquarters, Antiaircraft Command (ARAACOM) in Colorado, in charge of the Army's part in the nation's continental defense system during the Cold War. He retired from the Army in 1957. Center Library was collocated with the United States Army Air Defense Artillery School Library in building 2, E-wing, in June, 1996 and later renamed Mickelsen Library in a dedication ceremony held 18 June 1997.
In August 2012, the Roberto Loeza Soldier Activity Center (SAC) was opened, and includes the branch of the Mickelsen Community Library, which is also known as the SAC Library. The SAC Library is geared towards patrons ages 18 and up, no children are allowed in the SAC Library, please visit Bldg. 2E if children will be in attendance.
- Mickelsen Online Resources
Just click on the above link to see all the online resources the Mickelsen Community Library has to offer! You can even digitally check out books!
The Soldier Activity Center Library offers:
- Books - Over 4,000 volumes on all types of subjects, including study guides, graphic novels, and fiction
- DVDs - Over 3,000, including new releases and television series
- Serials - Over 30 popular magazine subscriptions for use in the library Internet access
- 20 CAC-enabled computers; 2 scanners available for use
- Services - Printing (.10 per page; must purchase GoPrint card from library); Faxing (.25 per page; cash only); Copier (.10 per page; cash only)
- A book drop is located in the hallway of the Soldier Activity Center, near the library entrance.
The Mickelsen Library offers:
- Books - Over 50,000 volumes on all types of subjects, including fiction
- Periodicals - Over 90 magazines and newspapers
- Reference - (915) 568-1902
- Interlibrary Loan - (915) 568-6156
- Access to the Internet, over 50 CAC-enabled computers, 3 scanners
Copier (.10 per page; cash only);
Printing (.10 per page; cash only & must purchase GoPrint card from library)
Faxing (.25 per page; cash only)
A 24-hour book drop is located at each end of E-wing. An inside book drop is located in the corridor at the bottom of the entrance stairway.
- Online Catalog
- Curbside Pick Up
CURBSIDE SERVICE EXPANDS TO 0900-1200 & 1300-1800 MONDAY – FRIDAY ON SEPTEMBER 14!!
Have a full access account? Call 915-568-1902/6156 or go to our online catalog http://mwrlibrary.armybiznet.com/search~S17/ to place an order on hold. Call in orders must be placed at least 15 minutes before arriving. Please be advised, orders placed after 1745 will not be available for pickup until the next business day.
When phone orders are placed staff will need the following information: Full name, DOD ID number, phone number, and the correct title or author of the item you wish to check out.
Please visit our online catalog in advance to make sure the item you wish to request is available - If an item has a due date, it has already been checked out and is not available.
VERY IMPORTANT: ⚠️Items that are listed in the catalog under the location of the Roberto Loeza Soldier Activity Center are currently unavailable.
Curbside pickup, returns and any questions regarding accounts or obtaining new accounts call 915-568-1902/6156 between the hours of 1300-1800.
• Park and remain in vehicle. Please wear your mask when in contact with staff.
• Call 915-568-1902/6156 and a staff member will assist you.
• Returned books must be in a disposable bag.
Please be advised, we only have two phone lines, and we appreciate your patience.
Book Drops are NOW open! All returned books are quarantined for 3 days for your safety.
Mickelsen Library, and the SAC Library are still closed to the public.
All items checked out have regular due dates. This means that books can be checked out for 21 days, DVD’s for 7 days and video games for 7 days.
We are working hard to assist you, to the best of our ability, and we appreciate your patience!
Thank you very much, Library Staff
Check out the links below to see what rentals the library offers!
- Army Chief of Staff's Reading List
Soldier Activity Center Library
Soldier Activity Center Library
Hours:This Facility is closed. Please check our Facebook page www.facebook.com/blissmwr/ for updates or visit the Mickelsen Community library page for Curbside pickup information.MondayClosedTuesdayClosedWednesdayClosedThursdayClosedFridayClosedSaturdayClosedSundayClosed