- REOPENING: May 2021
ATTENTION PATRONS - Partial Reopening
Beginning May 17, 2021: Mickelsen Community Library open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. for RESTRICTED use:
- Check outs
- Limited Computer use with printing capabilities and copy machine
- Face Masks are required and must be worn properly, unless proof of vaccination and 14 days from your last dose can be shown.
- No computer reservations can be made ahead of time.
- Patrons will not be allowed to sit, congregate or lounge in the library
- Curbside Service will no longer be available.
- No community programs will be scheduled at this time.
- Fax machine is unavailable due to technical difficulties.
- Only one (1) NIPR computer is available. The other is down due to technical difficulties.
- Online ordering for indoor pick-up: Visit circulation desk for pick-up items.
- In person check out: Limited to 10 items
BROWSING: Starting April 27, 2021 patrons will be able to browse the shelves for items. Checkouts will still take place at the Circulation Desks. Please bring your items to staff to checkout. Place all items you do not want to check out on the labeled carts that will be placed throughout the library.
- Soldier Activity Center (SAC) Library is still closed, all items listed in the catalog belonging to the SAC are not available for checkout.
- Outdoor Book Drops will still be available 24/7 for BOOK RETURNS ONLY.
- TO RETURN ITEMS: A contactless return box has been placed in the Adult side Library.
- Limited to 13 computers
- Limited to one (1) scanner computer
- One (1) patron per computer (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- 1-Hour computer reservations.
Mickelsen Library was dedicated to the memory of Lieutenant General Stanley R. Mickelsen, 1895-1966. Stanley R. Mickelsen was a visionary leader who brought the Army's Air Defense Artillery from the era of guns into the age of missiles. A native of Minnesota, he attended the University of Minnesota and entered the Army in 1917 as a second lieutenant in the Coast Artillery Corps. During World War II, he served on the War Department General Staff and later commanded an antiaircraft brigade. From 1950 to 1952, he was the Commanding General at Fort Bliss. LTG Mickelsen then became the Commanding General, Headquarters, Antiaircraft Command (ARAACOM) in Colorado, in charge of the Army's part in the nation's continental defense system during the Cold War. He retired from the Army in 1957. Center Library was collocated with the United States Army Air Defense Artillery School Library in building 2, E-wing, in June, 1996 and later renamed Mickelsen Library in a dedication ceremony held 18 June 1997.
In August 2012, the Roberto Loeza Soldier Activity Center (SAC) was opened, and includes the branch of the Mickelsen Community Library, which is also known as the SAC Library. The SAC Library is geared towards patrons ages 18 and up, no children are allowed in the SAC Library, please visit Bldg. 2E if children will be in attendance.
- Mickelsen Online Resources
Just click on the above link to see all the online resources the Mickelsen Community Library has to offer! You can even digitally check out books!
The Mickelsen Library offers:
- Books - Over 50,000 volumes on all types of subjects, including fiction
- Periodicals - Over 90 magazines and newspapers
- Reference - (915) 568-1902
- Interlibrary Loan - (915) 568-6156
- Access to the Internet, over 50 CAC-enabled computers, 3 scanners
Copier (.10 per page; cash only);
Printing (.10 per page; cash only & must purchase GoPrint card from library)
Faxing (.25 per page; cash only)
A 24-hour book drop is located at each end of E-wing. An inside book drop is located in the corridor at the bottom of the entrance stairway.
The Soldier Activity Center Library offers:
- Books - Over 4,000 volumes on all types of subjects, including study guides, graphic novels, and fiction
- DVDs - Over 3,000, including new releases and television series
- Serials - Over 30 popular magazine subscriptions for use in the library Internet access
- 20 CAC-enabled computers; 2 scanners available for use
- Services - Printing (.10 per page; must purchase GoPrint card from library); Faxing (.25 per page; cash only); Copier (.10 per page; cash only)
- A book drop is located in the hallway of the Soldier Activity Center, near the library entrance.
Mickelsen Community Library hosts Story Time for 2-5 year olds on Tuesdays at 10:15 a.m.-11am. Story Time consists of stories, songs and games, and simple crafts and usually lasts for 45 minutes. Parents must remain with their children during Story Time. Mickelsen Community Library is located in the basement of Bldg 2E. Participation limited to 20-25 participants.
School Age Book Club
Mickelsen Community Library holds the School Age Book Club, for 6-9 year olds, every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month at 5 p.m. Book Club consists of reading aloud from chapter books by children and staff, activities that revolve around the featured book selection, and crafts. Book Club lasts approximately 45 minutes and meets in the Community Room of Bldg 2E.
Tween Book Club
Mickelsen Community Library hosts Tween Book Club, for 10-12 year olds, every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 5p.m. Tweens read selected titles and engage in conversation about themes in the book. Book Club lasts approximately 45 minutes and meets in the Community Room of Bldg 2E.
- Online Catalog
Check out the links below to see what rentals the library offers!
- Army Chief of Staff's Reading List
Mickelsen Community Library
Mickelsen Community Library
Open for RESTRICTED use. See REOPENING April 2021 for clarification.